Author Topic: Will Someone Talk To Mugsy?  (Read 1818 times)

March 06, 2010, 05:04:10 PM
  • Suit of Cups
Mugsy is my 2yr old Yorkshire Terrier and I love him dearly. He is very smart and likes to have his own way.  We brought him home when he was 11 weeks old and he never had to be house trained....he automatically banged on the back door when he needed to go out. My other male Yorkie, Ziggy, sometimes sneaks a pee somewhere in the house and Mugsy acts so disgusted.  He seems so strangely human at times. The day he arrived he took over, bossed  Ziggy who is 4yrs old(pictured in my  avatar).  Mugsy is a true alpha dog. Can someone tell him to stop jumping so much?  He already had leg surgery when he was only 8 months old due to his jumping and sliding on the top of a kiddie swimming pool. He is not hyper...he just thinks he is an acrobat.  ::)  Also, he acts like he can see my beloved Sheltie, Willie who has been gone for 4 years. Mugsy and Ziggy both act like they recognize the name, Willie.  Is this just my imagination or maybe they know how much we still miss Willie?

I will be happy to give feedback, of course.  I'd just like to know what makes this little boy tick.  ;D

See picture of him below:

TIA,

Karena
Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.
Albert Schweitzer

March 06, 2010, 06:51:43 PM
Reply #1
  • Suit of Cups
I certainly got that he is very alert, expressive and usually talkative. 
I told him that his job is to stay "grounded", since he likes to be in charge he needs to keep all 4 paws on the ground.  I explained that it's also a safety issue.  Please remind him of his new job but be sure not to visualize or see him jumping (in your mind) or he'll think it's okay to jump.  See him with all 4 paws on the ground.
He said Willie's scent is all over the place.
I'll try again in a day or two.
Thanks,
Gracie

March 06, 2010, 07:22:16 PM
Reply #2
  • Suit of Cups
Thank you, Gracie.  Yes you have it right, he is a very "in charge" type. As you say, he is also very talkative. He grumbles and growls when he wants something. Sometimes I get the impression that he thinks we're dumb but he puts up with us anyway. He is very affectionate and good-natured although he loves to nag Ziggy. He likes to choose where we go when we go for walks.  He puts on the  brakes if I go in a direction he doesn't want to go.  Lol, the Dog Whisperer wouldn't approve but I usually let him lead the  way.  ;D
Good idea, I will visualize him with four paws on the ground as you suggest.  That is interesting that he says Willie's scent is all over the place.  I would love to hear more in a couple days if you can.

Thanks again, Gracie....I Appreciate You!   :)

HUGS,

Karena
Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.
Albert Schweitzer

March 09, 2010, 07:20:26 PM
Reply #3
  • Suit of Cups
Just to continue the "thread"...I had answered an email regarding some questions from Karena and will attempt to paraphrase my response to her questions which didn't seem to get posted on this forum.
I felt Mugsy could detect Willie's scent all over the yard and in the house (even though I don't know that you live in the same location as before). 
I think Mugsy likes to lick your eyes to wipe away the sadness of missing Willie.  He wants to be seen for who he is, he wants to be noticed and not just fade into the background, he's looking for love.
He's happy with you, he gets his way quite easily.
He's curious of people, he's not afraid, and he's confident where as Ziggy barks out of fear, and tends to be more reactive to people.
Are you sure Mugsy's vision is within normal limits, there was something about seeing shadows????
Thanks, Gracie

March 09, 2010, 08:27:48 PM
Reply #4
  • Suit of Cups
Hi Gracie and thank you again.  :)   Willie is buried in the backyard at my mother's house so he has never been to the place we live now but hopefully he is here in spirit and Mugsy can smell his spiritual scent.  Mugsy is around Willie's grave when we visit mother's.  As you say, he is a very up front little guy and demands that he be picked up first when we come home. Lol, right again, he does get his way quite easily.  :D  I feel very protective of him because he had to have surgery at only 8 months of age.  He injured his back leg from jumping so I'm afraid of him getting injured again.  He thinks he is an acrobat. :o  He is very outgoing compared to Ziggy. Mugsy thinks the world revolves around only him but Ziggy doesn't like many people or other neighborhood dogs.

I don't know what the shadows could mean.  Mugsy seems to have perfect vision...he is so observant and nosy about everything. One thing,  Mugsy's eyes do not glow in the dark like other dogs....kind of unusual. The vet said it wasn't anything to be concerned about.
However, maybe it is Ziggy who sees the shadows.  I've even wondered about his vision as he seems to step so cautiously and sometimes stares at the floor as he is walking through doorways.  It looks like he is making sure that he doesn't trip or lose his footing. Do you think that could be it?

Just want to say I appreciate you and am glad you are a member here.  You are so helpful to us...especially those of us who are new.

Karena

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:44:46 PM by Karena »
Albert Schweitzer

June 22, 2010, 08:37:22 PM
Reply #5
With my previous communications in other threads, I did it right at the computer and would type up the conversation as it happened.  With Mugsy, I got in a more comfortable position, not by the computer, so it won't be word for word.  It seemed kind of weak, like my own thoughts were trying to sneak in at times...but decided to try a different method on for size. 

Anyway, Mugsy does seem quite the alpha.  After I introduced myself and asked if we could talk, he told me to sit down.  I said I was actually lying down and asked if that was okay.  He said sure, as long as I stayed in line and didn't try anything silly.  He says what makes him tick is when things don't go his way.  He said he's the dominant one, feels it's his job.  I asked if he'd prefer someone else take the job, he said if they're worthy and capable, okay, but he's fine with the job.  About Ziggy peeing in the house, he said if anyone is going to mark territory it should be him, but he doesn't think the humans want them peeing in the house anyway.  I asked what his favorite toy was, and he said he liked to play with balls. 

I think that's about the point my own thoughts started distracting me.  At some point I picked up a feeling of anxiety, but I'm not sure if it was something he was trying to communicate to me that he's anxious about, or if it was my own stuff.  I asked him if he wanted to discuss anything else, and when he said no, we parted ways. 

August 10, 2010, 03:10:05 PM
Reply #6
  • Suit of Cups
Hi Nera's Mommy,

Sorry I'm just now getting back to you on Mugsy's reading.  Yes, Mugsy  is definitely alpha.  He likes things to be right and as they should be....he is very serious looking at times.  He studies people and things rather than bark.  Ziggy on the other hand will bark at anything that moves. So you are right on his personality.  Ziggy is the one that loves balls while Mugsy is very attached to his old blue teddybear.  He has to carry it with him even to go out to pee. ;D Not sure what the anxiety could be....he seems pretty calm and happy.  So funny about him saying he should have the right to pee in the house but its just not right to do...lol.

I thank you and appreciate your reading.

HUGS

Karena
Albert Schweitzer