Author Topic: Dog lost in the mountains since May 18th 2011  (Read 2617 times)

June 21, 2011, 01:31:53 PM
  • Suit of Pentacles
A friend of mine's Border Collie, Steele, has been missing in Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa, since May 18 2011.  It has now been a month and he has not be seen or heard from since.

I would like to know if he is still alive so that we can continue looking for him.  If he is alive, is there any way of him telling us where he is?

September 19, 2011, 07:15:29 AM
Reply #1
  • Suit of Pentacles
    • Whispers from the forest
  • Animals: 2 lovely lurchers :)
Hi Jean, any news on Steele? Is he still missing?

September 20, 2011, 06:29:52 AM
Reply #2
  • Suit of Pentacles
Hi Littleriver

Yes, Steele is still missing :(

Thanks

Jean

September 20, 2011, 06:48:20 AM
Reply #3
  • Suit of Pentacles
Ok I tried to connect and what I got was he is with other humans, lots of them. He is ok but misses his human family. I got the impression he was near the mountain in a shanty town, possibly with a water tower in the vicinity.

Does that make any sense? I'm just a beginner but hopefully that's a start x

September 20, 2011, 08:17:43 AM
Reply #4
  • Suit of Pentacles
Littleriver ... this is EXACTLY what we are suspecting as there is a shanty town on the other side of the mountain ...

I don't know the area that well but there may well be a water tower in the area.

Thank you so much.  This at least gives me hope that he will be found.  I am going to look at Googlemap photos of the area (shanty town) and see if I can spot something which may be a water tower

Thank you.  If you get anything else from him, please let me know.  His owners are desperate for his safe return and although he is microchipped, that will only help him if he is found and taken to a vet to be checked.

Jean

September 20, 2011, 08:28:49 AM
Reply #5
  • Suit of Pentacles
Wow that's good news. I was trying for ages and didn't get anything and then all of a sudden it seemed like a connection was made. I honestly didn't know there was a shanty town nearby (although I guess there are a few over there?). I got an image of him lying on a dark blue blanket outside a tent.

If I was his owners I would spend a day wandering round the shanty town calling his name!

I'll try again this week and see if I can get any further info x

September 20, 2011, 08:54:14 AM
Reply #6
  • Suit of Pentacles
Thank you :)

Unfortunately these places are not safe to go into and so we would have to find someone either willing to "risk it", or an informant living there that for some money, might give us some information.  The police do drive through these areas and I think there are animal welfare people in the area as well, but I am hoping for some more info so that I can try and pinpoint where he is, or at least more or less where he is as the shanty town is large.

Interestingly enough ... I looked on Google maps and whilst there isn't a water tower as such, there is something above the town which looks very much like a concrete dam which may contain water.  It is round and quite big?

Come on Steele - tell us where you are :)

Thank you again.  Really appreciate it.  We need to get this boy home where he belongs.

September 20, 2011, 02:58:25 PM
Reply #7
  • Suit of Cups
  • Hello! Thanks for visiting my profile. :)
  • Animals: Guinea pig named Cappuccino, dog named Hogan
I just saw this thread, thanks to littleriver for replying again. ^_^

I hope you don't mind that I talked to Steele, but I wanted to see if I could get some info as well.

He said it was very green where he was - he said there was a younger woman there who perhaps had a child, and there were "lots of horses." When I inquired about the water tower that littleriver saw, he told me he could see it from a distance, and it was near a single tree - I'm getting the feeling that it was a pine or fir of some sort. I'm getting the sense there are animals where he is, because he also said sheep as well as horses. So perhaps a farm? Still, I didn't see any buildings, so I'm not sure if that guess is right or not.

Hopefully this helps. :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:04:37 PM by TwistedQueen »

September 21, 2011, 08:00:46 AM
Reply #8
  • Suit of Pentacles
This is interesting. I don't get a feeling of greenery, more a dusty barren area. I'm new to this though so I could be wrong.

I tried again today and I got the word 'cages' and then 'rabbits'. I asked if he was on a farm and I thought he said "I wish I was!"

Again I asked if he could see anything nearby that might be a focal point and I got 'flags', perhaps with a red circle on.

Going back to the water tower, I think it had windows in on the brief glimpse I got, so maybe it's something else, like a control tower or entrance to a place? Don't want to sound like I'm backtracking here, just trying to figure it out  :-\

September 21, 2011, 11:54:15 AM
Reply #9
  • Suit of Pentacles
Twisted Queen and Little River ... this is spooky as the area where I think you are describing is farm land.

I am forwarding all of this info to a friend of mine.  I am hoping we can go out this weekend and look around.

I will obviously update you all.

Hold thumbs please.  Its time this boy came home.

Jean

September 21, 2011, 02:45:28 PM
Reply #10
  • Suit of Cups
This is interesting. I don't get a feeling of greenery, more a dusty barren area. I'm new to this though so I could be wrong.

I tried again today and I got the word 'cages' and then 'rabbits'. I asked if he was on a farm and I thought he said "I wish I was!"

Again I asked if he could see anything nearby that might be a focal point and I got 'flags', perhaps with a red circle on.

Going back to the water tower, I think it had windows in on the brief glimpse I got, so maybe it's something else, like a control tower or entrance to a place? Don't want to sound like I'm backtracking here, just trying to figure it out  :-\

I only saw green in the distance - I didn't have any view close by - but I'm assuming that there are pastures of some sort if there are sheep/horses.

I forgot to mention in my last post, but I did see lots of stone walls. Perhaps this is the barren that you were seeing? I'm not sure. I didn't include it, because I thought that impression was just from looking at the picture of Steele, which had a stone wall in it.

@Jean - Let me know if you find anything else out. :)  Best of luck to you and your friend.

September 23, 2011, 01:55:09 PM
Reply #11
  • Suit of Pentacles
Going out on Sunday to see if I can see anything as described.  Will let you all know. :)

September 23, 2011, 06:47:53 PM
Reply #12
  • Suit of Cups

September 25, 2011, 11:00:32 AM
Reply #13
  • Suit of Pentacles
Unfortunately today yielded no results :(  We spent most of the day driving around the area where I thought Steele might be but with no luck.  We drove into the shanty town and drove through most of it but could spot nothing  :**(  I just wish I knew where this boy was.

Thanks for your help everyone

September 25, 2011, 05:52:32 PM
Reply #14
  • Suit of Cups
:( Did you ask anyone? I'm getting the feeling that he was with someone... he didn't seem to be lost or alone. My best wishes to you and Steele. I hope he's okay. D: