Author Topic: Rascal and Felix  (Read 1730 times)

May 23, 2006, 12:12:12 AM
  • Suit of Pentacles
Hi Everyone

I wonder if someone could help me with a fairly urgent problem.

My husband and I are moving house and we don't know if we should take our cats with us or not.

Felix is 14 years old and he virtually lives with my elderly neighbour who I am sure would be more than willing to take him over permanently.  I am sure he will be happier there to, although he does come to visit me occassionally and might be upset when he finds that we no longer live there.

Then there is Rascal who is 9 years old.  She has lived in our house all her life.  (We moved there when Felix was about 4).  It is my mother's house and I thought that she was going to move in there and thus could keep Rascal, but now she says she is going to sell.  She has, however, said that she can still take Rascal (she has no pets of her own).  My only concern is that she lives near a busy road (not quite on one, but near one).  We will be moving out to a more rural area - where there may be birds of prey, etc.

Now, the questions.  Would Felix be okay living with Yvonne (my neighbour) and would he be okay with us no longer living next door, or would he like to move with us?  Then, what would Rascal like to do?  Would she like to move in with my mom (and have the house to herself - except that there are other cats in the complex) or would she like to move with us and the dogs?

I feel really bad, as she is a sweet kitty, but I would like to do what is best for her / what she would like.  It is not a problem to leave her behind as I know my mom would love and care for her (and she likes my mom) but I don't want either of them the think that we are abandoning them.

If you could chat to them as soon as possible that would be great as we are unsure of when we are moving, but the seller is moving out on the 27th May so we could go into the house any time thereafter.

Thank you so much.

Regards

Jean

PS - I am enclosing a picture of Rascal (on the bed) and of Felix (in the kitchen)

May 24, 2006, 09:23:48 AM
Reply #1
  • Suit of Cups
Hello Jean!  

I didn't have time to do 'proper' readings, but I did connect briefly this morning with your babies.  Nothing much you can validate, just general impressions.  

I was glad to see your post on Leea also.  From her, I'm getting that perhaps there is 'another' training with her, at least sometimes.  Is this Pumba maybe?  Leea indicates its more of a fun thing now, not so much pressure to perform.  As in earlier readings she's mirroring your responses and it seems she's more relaxed now because you are.  She feels your unconditional love and gives it right back!  

As for the kitties...Felix seems like he's starting to feel his old age these days and doesn't much care to adjust to new things anymore.  I'm getting that he is very happy with your neighbor, her place is quiet and comfortable.  She gives him lots of quiet attention, they are in sync with each other.  I'm sensing he lives there already.  He enjoys his visits with you but is very much at home with Yvonne.

Rascal on the other hand, loves being your special girl.  She may seem to keep to herself somewhat but she still feels very much a part of things.  She's comfortable with the noise and activities of the household and enjoys her quiet time when everyone's gone for periods of time.  

Rascal likes the other woman but indicates that she is not mommy.  She understands this relationship (mother-daughter), thus feels certain the 'other mom' will stay in the family circle.  I'm really getting that her place is with you, Jean.  You are her mommy.

I didn't spend time envisioning a new house although I'm sure they picked up on that.  Rascal seemed a bit uneasy so I sent her lots of reassurance that she is loved deeply.  I'm getting that she would expect everyone to go together, herself included.  Felix is sort of wishing you well, lol, as he waves goodbye.  Of course Leea is going to be a happy camper wherever you are.

Hope this helps Jean.
Vicki

May 25, 2006, 12:16:28 AM
Reply #2
  • Suit of Pentacles
Hi Vee

Once again you have come through for me.   Thank you so much.

Let me start re Leea.  Yes, you are completely correct.  I didn't want to say too much in my post, to see what the AC got, but I see that you are spot on (as usual!).  I train Leea and Pumba on a Thursday night with a few friends at the Club.  We basically just have fun.  I am also taking Pumba to all competitions, etc, and she is also with Leea during normal practise on a Saturday because it is Leea's class and then Pumba's straight after.  But you are completely right about me being more relaxed.  A friend commented on how well Leea is doing and I said yes, and I didn't know why, and she said that it is because my attitude has changed.  I am more relaxed and so Leea is too.  I really don't care anymore - we enter competitions and if we do well, bonus, and if not, so what.  There are so many little things that Leea is doing that are breakthroughs for us as a team.  The first time she did an entire course at a Regional Trial (in February), the other day when I set her up having to face "scary people" and she ignored them and did the course, etc.  Tiny little breakthroughs that make me so proud of her.  She really is my special girl.  I basically just take her to competitions now to have fun, which she seems to be having.  Gotta love that pup.

Now the cats.  Yes, you are perfectly right, Felix does live with Yvonne.  If he pops in to visit once a month, I am very lucky!  I can't recall when last I saw him at our house actually.  I know he is okay, because if he wasn't, Yvonne would tell me, so I am not worried that something has happened to him if I don't see him.  But yes, he lives with her.  I just have his vet card (for his innoculations) but that is about the only hold that I still have on him.  Giving him to Yvonne permanently, means handing over his card!

There are boxes around the house already as we slowly begin to pack up, so I am sure Rascal must know something.  She has been sleeping in one of the boxes so perhaps that is a hint!  

I have a suggestion.  Perhaps I could leave her with my mom for a bit (whilst we move and there is all the upheaval with boxes and moving, and painting, and etc,) and then perhaps you (or anyone else) could ask her what she would like to do again?  She would have been living with my mom for a bit, would she like to stay there, or would she like to move where I am.  She might find that she actually quite likes the peace and quiet (and undivided attention that my mom would give her?).  Just a thought?

We are going to show the dogs the new house this weekend as the seller moves on Saturday so we can go in there on Sunday to look around.  I so hope that they like it.  Nutty animal lovers that we are, we have bought a house about 1/3 SMALLER than our current house, on a plot DOUBLE the size of the existing yard!!!! Who do you think we bought the new property for ???...!!!

Thank you again for your help.  I am so glad that I could validate some stuff for you, but just know that you are spot on  :wink:

Kind regards

Jean

May 26, 2006, 12:22:18 AM
Reply #3
  • Suit of Cups
Thanks for your reply, Jean.  I think that's a great idea for Rascal.  She may indeed decide she likes being with your mom.  Just explain it to her with your heart, talk about the noise and mess and how you know she'd rather avoid that part of it.  

If possible, I'd take her to your mom's place instead of mom coming to get her.  That way she'll have some time to figure out where she is before you leave.  I'll send a few more reassuring thoughts her way as well.

Your new place sounds like heaven for the 'kids' - I know you're all going to love that outdoor space.

Hugs to all,
Vicki

June 02, 2006, 12:25:56 AM
Reply #4
  • Suit of Pentacles
Hi Vicki

Just to let you know that I have spoken to my neighbour who is more than happy to take Felix.  It was quite sad actually, because when I went to talk to her - Felix sat on a tree log by the front gate and ignored me, but "her" three cats all came to say hello.  I guess I should just take that as a hint.  I will miss him, but will go and visit him when I can :(

I have told my mom that I would like her to take Rascal whilst we are still living in the same suburb, so that I can go and see her each night and see if she is coping or not.  My mom has agreed to take her from next weekend, which will give her a week to decide.  I will take her to my mom's house and will pop in each night to see her.  Do you think you could explain to Rascal what is happening and somehow get her to show me if she is happy with the new arrangment or not?  If she is happy with my mom, then I will leave her there - if not, then she can move with us.

Thanks for all your help.

Jean

June 03, 2006, 06:12:36 AM
Reply #5
  • Suit of Cups
Hi Jean,

Sounds like Felix let you know exactly what he wanted, try not to take that personally.  Its good to know he has a great home and won't have to make a major adjustment in his senior years.  

I connected with him briefly this morning (Saturday) and although he wasn't particularly inclined to converse, lol, he did give me a feeling of deep contentment with his life.  He acknowledged that it was you who brought him to this place, and he thanks you for that.  His behavior when you made it official was only his way of showing you he was in his realm.    

As for sweet Rascal, she really comes across as a mild-mannered kitty.  I had a 'conversation' with her on Friday.  I think she has had some uncertainty about the goings-on, boxes being packed, etc.  I 'explained' that it would be safer and much less stressful for her to stay with her other mom (whom I called Grandma, hope your Mom doesn't mind, lol) while all this is going on.  I reassured her that her care and comfort were most important to you.

I kept projecting images of a quiet and comfortable home with lots of attention/affection from Grandma and that you would be checking in to make sure she was doing okay.  I kept sending thoughts that she might really like it there and if so, it would be okay if she wanted to stay.  I'm getting again that she understands the essence you and Grandma share, and knows the 'family' circle will continue.

I asked what behaviors she might display to show you whether she's doing well or not.  I kept seeing two different scenarios - one of her being engaged in the new environment (looking around, interacting with Grandma, being out and about when you are there); the other showed her hiding, being wary and skitterish, maybe shunning even your approach although I'm also glimpsing her clinging to you.

She didn't give me any inclination at this point of which way she thought it might go.  My impression is that her 'emotions' will clearly show you her choice.  I did convey that she should give the new home, and Grandma,  a good try.  I tried to show her the concept of a 'week' so she'd know she had time to adjust, and reassured her of your 'daily' visits.  

It seems like she's fairly accepting of this, she knew a 'difference' was coming.  I'm sensing her as a rather mellow cat, almost submissive, certainly not strong-willed and rebellious.  She will follow life as it comes and will adapt to whatever is presented.

We shared a 'higher soul' moment in that her and I have a commonality in our missions.  Our adaptability allows us to go where life leads us, trusting that we are where we are meant to be at any given time, to serve the higher good.  

I told her that if she felt really uncomfortable or afraid in the next few days, she could call to me at any time and I will send her loving energy.  If she feels desperate for you, she should tell me so I can let you know.  She's okay with this, she gave me some loving energy in return - what a very loving lady!

I'm almost sensing as I write this that the 'event' is happening as I type.  That's interesting Jean, and I suppose an actual possibility given our time difference.  Hmmm...the universe works in mysterious ways.

I very much want to hear how things are going.  I've done a fair amount of AC practice now and I've been wanting more experience with current areas of need such as behavioral problems, stressful events, behavior changes, etc.  Thank you so much for helping me develop!  Your continued trust means a lot to me.

I'll visit with pretty Rascal on and off this week and will be attentive for her calls.  Take some rest time for yourself during the move.  I do know how much work that is.

Will be staying in touch,
Vicki