Author Topic: Marjorie  (Read 1390 times)

April 07, 2006, 10:36:18 AM
  • Suit of Pentacles
This is Gabby with another request. This time it is another special needs cat, Marjorie.

I'm sorry this is so big. I edited it down to 25% of the original size on Photobucket and it is still this size and it is making the text oversize too.
If someone knows how to fix it and can edit  it from your end, feel free! Thank you.

Marjorie was sent to the SPCA where I volunteer, after she was found inside a house where her owner had been dead for 4 days. She became very depressed, contracted the upper respiratory infection that is ubiquitous in shelters, and refused to eat. It was obvious that she would starve to death if someone didn't intervene, so I took her home. We don't know how old she is, but the vet says older than 15 or 16. She looks very decrepit and I think it is an effort for her to get up and down from the bed, so she lives on the bed with her kitty bed and litter box. Her dry food and water are on a dresser next to the bed and I feed her wet food each morning and evening, because although she sometimes eats the dry, she has bad teeth and needs something soft to be sure she eats. I close the door when she's eating so the other cats don't bother her.

The vet is reluctant to do anythiing about her teeth because she'd have to have anesthesia and might not be able to tolerate it because of her age. She is given Clindacure every three weeks for a week at a time to help with any inflamation or infection. She is scheduled for blood work because she drinks a lot of water...diabetes has been ruled out.

She likes to be petted for a nano-minute and then gets cranky, so then I just sit and talk to her. She's territorial about her bed, but doesn't mind the other cats being in the room when I'm in there and seems to enjoy watching the squealing babies being bottle-fed and playing on the floor. There is a tv in the room and I sort papers for the shelter in the evenings, so she's not left alone all day.

I'd like to know if she's comfortable, do her teeth hurt her, is she happy living with me, does she know how old she is, and if she knows her real name? (I only call her Marjorie because that was her owners name). Is there anything I can do to make her happier or more comfortable. I don't want her to be in pain. (I understand that you don't make medical diagnoses and don't expect you to).

Thank you so much for trying to help me make her as happy and comfortable as possible.

April 10, 2006, 08:31:04 AM
Reply #1
  • Suit of Cups
Good morning, Barbara.  As promised, here's my communication with Marjorie.  She's a very sweet cat, how sad that she lost her human.

Marjorie 04-10-06 0900  

Hello sweet lady (introduced myself, explained my purpose). I don't know the name you've gone by but I've heard of your situation.  Can you help us to know more about you?

-elderly, very slow, very tired (15+)

-feels sad and misses her Mom but accepts that 'it is so'

-current housing is better than the shelter

I know you recently lost your human companion.  Were you with her for a long time?

-most of my years

-she (the woman) was alone and lonely when I found her

-we got old together

I'm so sorry she's gone, what a great loss for you.  Do you feel left behind?

-no, this is life (just the way it is)

-would have been harder on her (the woman) if I'd left instead (the cat is coping better than the woman would have)

It must have been very difficult for you in those first days after her passing (envisioning the situation).  How did you fare during those first days?

-knew she (the woman) was dying, felt the angels come

-stayed by her (body); (a feeling of physical closeness for several hours, until the woman's body grew cold)

-found a few scraps and some water, enough for the time (feels as if she let her body systems slow down, that 'fasting mode' cats can go into, they can survive for a rather long time)

-waited quietly to be found

-the 'finding' and transport to the shelter were stressful but people were kind and she had food again

-this woman (You Barbara) is kind, speaks softly (she finds this very soothing)

Are you okay with living there at this time?

-yes, feels comfortable and safe

-is afraid she'll be moved again and just doesn't have the energy for it

-(my) life is ebbing, can I just stay here?

I'll certainly tell Barbara that you'd like to if its possible.  I'll ask her to talk to you about it and explain everything that will happen (if anything) beforehand.  Is that okay for now?

-thank you, yes

How is your general health?  May I please 'pretend' to be you for a minute and do a body scan for any problems you may have?

-chronic gum disease, low-grade inflammation, more of a constant flora overgrowth than an actual infection; the chronic toxins do effect the overall body, causes fatigue and slow degeneration

-teeth/mouth don't really hurt but there is a chronic bad taste which in turn interferes with smell; drinking water helps clear her tongue and nose of this bad taste (indicates the medicine does help some, no need for further extensive intervention, it would indeed be too stressful - that's coming from her)

-thyroid okay, maybe a bit sluggish; GI okay, also a bit sluggish which is connected to the gum disease, low fiber intake also a factor; pancreas & kidneys okay; stiffness and soreness in the joints, an arthritis type of issue, muscles no longer supple and strong

-(getting a general 'old age' feeling here pure and simple; she's okay with that, she feels much as her human did before she passed)

I visited with her here about trips to the Vet for check-ups and simple treatments; envisioned carriers and car rides, being handled by people when necessary.  I explained that these trips were fairly short ones and she would come back to her 'room.'  She understands and will try to be calm and cooperative.  I assured her the people would understand her nervousness and would be gentle with her.

I'm wondering about your name?  Your human's name was Marjorie.  Anything you can share on this subject?

-(getting something like 'Lacey' - something about her white 'bib' is like a lace curtain or valance, this is how her human picked the name)

-(indicates that calling her Marjorie would be okay too, its your soothing tone and manners that are important to her)

Anything else you'd like to share before we close?

-enjoys her now space, likes watching the activities and the 'newness' of the babies

-enjoys your quiet presence very much!

-still nervous about being petted, feels your energy and that is enough; will try to be more accepting

-thanks you for not letting the other cats mess with her, content to be alone on the bed

-feels like there's not so much life left, a natural decline is speeding up, she's content enough to wait where she is now until her time comes to cross over

-she still thinks about her Mom (the woman Marjorie), tells you to let your imagination run free and she'll 'show' you things about their life together (what a special gift from her!)

I sent her some loving energy and we closed.  I asked my boy Tramp (on the other side) to visit with this sweet cat, to comfort her and show her how easy it will be to cross over when the time comes.  I felt him going to her.  

What a sad story for this sweet girl, but a wonderful human found her and took her in!  As a single woman myself, I sometimes think about this very thing and how long my cats would have to wait to be found.  

As an aside, my old boy Tramp had a similar chronic gum/mouth problem which ultimately contributed to old age and death at 15 (as opposed to 20 or so years).  I admit I've never done dental care or teeth brushing on my cats, having grown up way before the Vets started recommending it.  As with Marjorie, we could have extracted but felt it would be more harmful than helpful.  I know it was certainly a factor in his decline, but he was happy & comfortable enough.  

I would of course appreciate your feedback.  Thank you so much for being an angel for all your beautiful critters!

Vicki

April 13, 2006, 04:55:30 PM
Reply #2
  • Suit of Pentacles
Good Morning, Vicki,

Thank you for talking with Marjorie. This is such a sad visit, but not surprising to me. I have seen a real slowing down in her. She rarely leaves her bed, but when she does, she's very stiff. Every once in a while, she decides to go down to my basement. Don't know what she does down there. She doesn't stay long. Just a short visit!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning, Barbara. As promised, here's my communication with Marjorie. She's a very sweet cat, how sad that she lost her human.

Marjorie 04-10-06 0900

Hello sweet lady (introduced myself, explained my purpose). I don't know the name you've gone by but I've heard of your situation. Can you help us to know more about you?

-elderly, very slow, very tired (15+)

-feels sad and misses her Mom but accepts that 'it is so'

-current housing is better than the shelter

I know you recently lost your human companion. Were you with her for a long time?

-most of my years

-she (the woman) was alone and lonely when I found her

-we got old together

I'm so sorry she's gone, what a great loss for you. Do you feel left behind?

-no, this is life (just the way it is)

It just amazes me that animals are so accepting of their situations, no matter how horrendous.

-would have been harder on her (the woman) if I'd left instead (the cat is coping better than the woman would have)

This is a sad truth. Humans don't cope with losing their pets very well. I know I don't.

It must have been very difficult for you in those first days after her passing (envisioning the situation). How did you fare during those first days?

-knew she (the woman) was dying, felt the angels come

-stayed by her (body); (a feeling of physical closeness for several hours, until the woman's body grew cold)

-found a few scraps and some water, enough for the time (feels as if she let her body systems slow down, that 'fasting mode' cats can go into, they can survive for a rather long time)

-waited quietly to be found

-the 'finding' and transport to the shelter were stressful but people were kind and she had food again

...which she only ate for a short time. After that, she refused to eat. That is how I came to take her home. I work at a school and during the summer, I work at the shelter every day. She came down with  URI and I medicated her and got her over it, but she didn't eat that entire time. I saw that she was just going to starve to death, presumably from depression, so I brought her home.  

-this woman (You Barbara) is kind, speaks softly (she finds this very soothing)

I'm happy to hear that.

Are you okay with living there at this time?

-yes, feels comfortable and safe

-is afraid she'll be moved again and just doesn't have the energy for it

-(my) life is ebbing, can I just stay here?

This makes me so sad. I had no intention of taking her back. This is her home, I love her, and she'll stay here. I will tell her that

I'll certainly tell Barbara that you'd like to if its possible. I'll ask her to talk to you about it and explain everything that will happen (if anything) beforehand. Is that okay for now?

-thank you, yes

How is your general health? May I please 'pretend' to be you for a minute and do a body scan for any problems you may have?

-chronic gum disease, low-grade inflammation, more of a constant flora overgrowth than an actual infection; the chronic toxins do effect the overall body, causes fatigue and slow degeneration

-teeth/mouth don't really hurt but there is a chronic bad taste which in turn interferes with smell; drinking water helps clear her tongue and nose of this bad taste (indicates the medicine does help some, no need for further extensive intervention, it would indeed be too stressful - that's coming from her)

-thyroid okay, maybe a bit sluggish; GI okay, also a bit sluggish which is connected to the gum disease, low fiber intake also a factor; pancreas & kidneys okay; stiffness and soreness in the joints, an arthritis type of issue, muscles no longer supple and strong

-(getting a general 'old age' feeling here pure and simple; she's okay with that, she feels much as her human did before she passed)

I have her scheduled for blood work when I return from Texas because she drinks so much water, but she's just explained why, so I may change that. It may not be worth the stress of her having to go to the shelter...which is where I would take her for it.

I visited with her here about trips to the Vet for check-ups and simple treatments; envisioned carriers and car rides, being handled by people when necessary. I explained that these trips were fairly short ones and she would come back to her 'room.' She understands and will try to be calm and cooperative. I assured her the people would understand her nervousness and would be gentle with her.

It's funny because she doesn't appear to be the least bit nervous when I take her there. I had to leave her for a couple of days at Christmas and she was just as calm as could be (I thought!). We put her in a private area so she didn't have to go back to the cages where she was originally placed.

I'm wondering about your name? Your human's name was Marjorie. Anything you can share on this subject?

-(getting something like 'Lacey' - something about her white 'bib' is like a lace curtain or valance, this is how her human picked the name)

-(indicates that calling her Marjorie would be okay too, its your soothing tone and manners that are important to her)

I'm glad she doesn't mind being called by her new name!

Anything else you'd like to share before we close?

-enjoys her now space, likes watching the activities and the 'newness' of the babies

I put the young ones in her room because I can keep them isolated from the other cats and the puppy. I've noticed that she watches when I feed them...seems to really enjoy it. They were beginning to be very active after I fed them...playing on the floor. Unfortunately, the show is over until I get back from Texas. I took them back to the shelter this morning. That makes me sad too, since she must have looked forward to watching them. She almost had a smile on her face while they were out of their cage.

-enjoys your quiet presence very much!

I'll continue to be there for her.

-still nervous about being petted, feels your energy and that is enough; will try to be more accepting.

I truly didn't realize that she was nervous. I just thought that she had had enough petting and told me so! I've been combing her to get the winter coat out and she loves it.

-thanks you for not letting the other cats mess with her, content to be alone on the bed

-feels like there's not so much life left, a natural decline is speeding up, she's content enough to wait where she is now until her time comes to cross over

I've definitely had that feeling...which is one reason I probably won't go with the bloodwork. I'll have to ask Danielle, as she is a vet tech and will have some thoughts about that.

-she still thinks about her Mom (the woman Marjorie), tells you to let your imagination run free and she'll 'show' you things about their life together (what a special gift from her!)

That is special. I am going to spend time with her as soon as I finish this and will try to stay in a receptive frame of mind. (I have a hard time calming down and that is the big reason that I'm not being at all successful with communicating. Have to work on it)

I sent her some loving energy and we closed. I asked my boy Tramp (on the other side) to visit with this sweet cat, to comfort her and show her how easy it will be to cross over when the time comes. I felt him going to her.

Thank you so much for that. I've noticed today that she has been out of her kitty bed and has been stretching out on the regular bed, something I've never seen her do. I feel much better about leaving her while I'm gone,  knowing that she has a loving companion with her. Please thank Tramp for me...or I'll TRY to do it myself. _____________________________________

What a sad story for this sweet girl, but a wonderful human found her and took her in! As a single woman myself, I sometimes think about this very thing and how long my cats would have to wait to be found.

As an aside, my old boy Tramp had a similar chronic gum/mouth problem which ultimately contributed to old age and death at 15 (as opposed to 20 or so years). I admit I've never done dental care or teeth brushing on my cats, having grown up way before the Vets started recommending it. As with Marjorie, we could have extracted but felt it would be more harmful than helpful. I know it was enough.

rtainly a factor in his decline, but he was happy & comfortable I would of course appreciate your feedback. Thank you so much for being an angel for all your beautiful critters!

Vicki

You are such a caring, warm person that the animals must feel very comfortable talking with you. You certainly get the essence of their being.

Thank you so much. I feel very sad about Marjorie, but as I said, I've had the feeling that she will be crossing soon.

I leave tomorrow for Texas. It is very hard for me to leave my pets because I'm not sure they understand, even though I tell them that I'll be gone and someone they know will be taking care of them. Some of them (remember Little Boy?) don't like company!

Hugs to you, Vicki. Thank you.

April 19, 2006, 10:52:18 AM
Reply #3
  • Suit of Pentacles
How did you post a picture?  It says that you can't do that unless it links to a publicly posted website.
I spoke with Lee.
Anne