Author Topic: Meditation to get started  (Read 2446 times)

July 11, 2008, 10:26:09 AM
Hi, everyone!

I realize just hearing the work "meditation" can make a lot of people nervous.  However, it's one very consistent way  that I've found to work for me to get grounded before doing a reading.  I'm NO expert on this subject,  by all means, but I DO want to share some of my thought to you since overcoming the confidence hump was a big thing for me and seems to be a concern to other beginners too! 

It's a very simple thing to do....technically.  You clear your mind from distracing thoughts.  However, a lot of our minds are so used to racing with so many thoughts everyday, we forget how to do this.   And this is something that I am working on too!  I guess I first have to be aware of my thoughts racing.  And it's a challenging thing for me to do since there's just SO much to do (as I'm sure you might agree about your life too!)  But if you can be aware of it, its the first step in changing it.

In terms of what kind of meditations to do, it's really so open!  Just do whatever it takes to clear your mind!  Visualization, concentrating on your breath (inhale, exhale, inhale....), focus on a phrase (I use this...."animal communication is fun and easy."  If I remember correctly, I used this from Carol Gurney's book,  "The Language of Animals...7 steps in communicating with Animals."   People are sensitive in their own ways....some are more visual, some receive feelings, etc.

A new and simple meditation I learned is this....
Breathe slowly in and then out and repeat until you feel more peaceful.  Visualize one color (like purple, for instance) and concentrate on it for a period of time...let's say 30 seconds.....  If your mind wanders to other thoughts, which it probably will in the beginning, just bring it back to the color.  But, don't beat yourself up for the wandering thoughts because what you focus on will magnify.  Just acknowledge that thought and bring your attention back to the color.  Then, visualize another color and concentrate on that!  Yes, it's that simple. 

If anyone tries this, let me know how it worked for you or any other suggestions to make the meditations work better!  I would like to know!

Warm Regards,
Angela

July 11, 2008, 01:15:25 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
  • Major Arcana
  • Life is a journey, not a destination
    • Pawstalk Animal Communication & Reiki
  • Animals: 2 Male Cats: Cuba & Makana
That's a great one, Angela.  I never thought of just meditating on one color.  I think that would be a great thing in combination with chakra balancing.  If there is an area in your life that you think needs balancing, then find the corresponding chakra and meditate on that color. 

I also think it would be fascinating to do that and then just take note of what visions come to you when you are surrounding yourself with that color.  I know it's hard to write things like that down right afterward, but wouldn't that be a great journal to keep? 

Thanks for the idea, Angela.  That opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. 

Caat
Animal Communication & Reiki: http://www.pawstalk.net
Psychic/Medium: http://www.spiritcaat.com
Metaphysical Network of Sites: http://www.lisalarson.net

July 11, 2008, 02:24:23 PM
Reply #2

July 12, 2008, 11:01:51 PM
Reply #3
  • Suit of Pentacles
I love the color idea too! I've never thought of that, though I have tried something similer just for fun. You know when you look at a light, then close your eyes and you can still see it? I focus on that light, then attempt to change the color of it. It actually works! Sometimes not right away, but it's awesome! I keep changing the color until the light disapears, sometimes if it disapears I can also bring it back. It's really neat I think.

I also think the journal thing with what comes to you after thinking of the color is a great Idea as well! Perhaps we should do a board on fun exercises to try just for fun? Then people could post their own ideas.

July 16, 2008, 11:42:48 PM
Reply #4
Wow!
What a wonderful idea for mind exercise!  I like the idea of changing the colors...it's like strength training for the mind!  And, that's a neat idea for the colors......it's especially interesting to me now that I've started reading about the chakras......it would be interesting to see what impressions or ideas come up.  Great idea, DJ_7

Angela