Author Topic: Why is it so hard to communicate with your own animals?  (Read 1762 times)

June 24, 2011, 10:45:34 PM
  • Suit of Pentacles
  • love all animals and nature, animal rights advocat
  • Animals: 1 Black Burmese female Cat
Hi, I have read it here and another sources that when you are starting out  with telepathy on animals that it is very hard to get your own animals to communicate with you.   This seems strange to me, because you would think they'd be quite keen to talk and let us get to know them even better, wouldn't it make their life better if they could tell us stuff like, I don't really like that food you are giving me, or can you buy me some more catnip, I haven't had it for awhile :)  Also do they just answer our questions or are they capable of telling us things on their own without prompts???  Consider 2 animals that were friends and one was in great distress about something physical that the owner didn't know about,  has it ever happened that this animal will communicate with its owner voluntarily??? c:}

June 25, 2011, 07:21:41 AM
Reply #1
  • Suit of Cups
  • Animals: Dogs, cats, goats, horses and more
Hi jetblack,
It's not so much that our own animals don't want to talk to us as that it's harder for us to trust what they are saying to us because we are so close to them. If a dog you don't know says that it liked the food it was eating before, because you don't know the dog you have no preconceived notions and have no reason not to trust that.

If your own dog says that, you've seen the dog eating, you know what kind of food it was and what the dog's reaction to it was at the time etc. You have many other things to go on and so it's hard to think you're not just making it up. Does that make any sense?

Also, it's very possible that an animal will just reach out and communicate with you unprompted. It happens to me a lot, but you have to be in the right state to hear them.
"If you love it enough, anything will talk with you." -George Washington Carver

June 25, 2011, 08:06:56 AM
Reply #2
  • Administrator
  • Major Arcana
  • Life is a journey, not a destination
    • Pawstalk Animal Communication & Reiki
  • Animals: 2 Male Cats: Cuba & Makana
Great response, Beautyistruth. Yes, Jet, what she said. ;) 

We tend to be so close to our animals as to not be objective when we do hear them. That's why when I get a new client, I will ask them to not tell me anything about the animal's personality or any specifics. Just the general idea of what we're talking to them about. It takes a lot of practice with animals we don't know to really get to that level of trust in hearing your own animals.

Even at that, when it comes to something like a serious behavioral problem, even I will get another communicator to talk to my animals for exactly that reason. I don't want to be influenced by what I "think" from knowing them so well, rather than have a clear channel. Sometimes our knowledge may pollute the message and other times it might be just like human kids, animals will sometimes listen to someone else before they listen to their parents! :P

I'm in story mode today, so I'll tell this one too...I recently had someone talk to my cat for a stress related behavioral problem (moving...the house remodel...blah...blah). She said to me that my cat calls me "maMA" with the accent on second syllable, like in French. We mused about that a bit, but I didn't understand it until the next night when my husband said, "You know, it just occurs to me ... whenever you tell Makana that your mom is going to visit, you tell him, 'GrandmaMA' is coming! GrandmaMA is coming!" So that's how smart animals are. He obviously extrapolated that I was his maMA, since my mom was GrandmaMA.

That's something I would have probably never gotten because I just always think of myself as 'mommy.' ;)

Caat
Animal Communication & Reiki: http://www.pawstalk.net
Psychic/Medium: http://www.spiritcaat.com
Metaphysical Network of Sites: http://www.lisalarson.net

June 25, 2011, 07:21:30 PM
Reply #3
  • Suit of Pentacles
Thanks, you two for your replies and info.  Yes it makes sense that we are infuenced by what behaviors we see in our animals, and maybe our own preferences of how we would like them to be gets in the way??? :-*   I am glad that you do get unpromted communication from your pets Beautyistruth, because that would be special.  Here is a question for you both, do animals ever lie in their communication???  I ask that because of a clip I saw on the a tv show  where a person had 3 dogs and one of them made a mess in the house while she was out, and the dogs all indicated none of them had done it, just like little kids not wanting to get into trouble, so they deny the truth.   

And yes Caat, I believe you are spot on about them not wanting to listen to their parents, just like children are.  8)

Karen

June 25, 2011, 07:38:57 PM
Reply #4
  • Suit of Cups
Yep, in my experience, they do. Though maybe not for quite the same reason, and it's often more like stretching the truth. Also, the times an animal did that to me, they *knew* that I knew they were lying, lol.

June 25, 2011, 10:53:41 PM
Reply #5
  • Administrator
  • Major Arcana
What I find  is not that they outright "lie" so to speak, but that if they don't want to fess up to something, they just won't tell me. They kind of 'guide me' in a different direction. ;)

I do have a client with 7 cats, however, in Hawaii and it's always interesting talking to them. Usually she will call me if someone starts to pee and she doesn't know who. So I a lot of times will talk to them 'town meeting' style and I hear what they say, but I'm not always sure who is doing the talking.

Sometimes I'll ask and the few that we suspect sort of blame it on each other. Other times,  they don't want to 'rat' on each other. ;)

Caat

June 26, 2011, 04:15:02 AM
Reply #6
  • Suit of Cups
What I find  is not that they outright "lie" so to speak, but that if they don't want to fess up to something, they just won't tell me. They kind of 'guide me' in a different direction. ;)

That's sort of what I was trying to say. I mean, I would call even that a lie of omission, lol. I guess it depends on your definition of lying. I'd say they do, but it's different than when humans lie somehow. Hard to explain.

June 26, 2011, 08:08:05 AM
Reply #7
  • Administrator
  • Major Arcana

That's sort of what I was trying to say. I mean, I would call even that a lie of omission, lol. I guess it depends on your definition of lying. I'd say they do, but it's different than when humans lie somehow. Hard to explain.
I agree. I also agree that they can 'stretch the truth' at times. I've just had more 'lying by omission' experience. :)

I've heard, though, other communicators talk about animals 'lying' and while maybe some of it may have to do with the animal's personality, I wonder if it wouldn't more have to do with the communicator's style. I'm a very 'non-confrontational' communicator. When I communicate, I start a conversation and develop a rapport with the animal, getting to know how they feel about their people ... their environment ... I'll have them show me around, etc.  before asking any questions about the issue at hand. I know other people just start asking questions.

I don't think one way is any better or worse than the other ... I'm sure people who just go straight to the questions get their information a lot faster than I do, but I think it's just a matter of style, and I wonder if my style tends to make animals less 'on the defensive', so they wouldn't necessarily 'react' with an outright lie.

Interesting thought. All I can speak for is my own style and my own experience.

Caat

June 26, 2011, 02:30:06 PM
Reply #8
  • Suit of Pentacles
Hi, that was very interesting dialogue between you both about animals that lie.  Actually it makes them more adorable that they would lie because it seems that they somehow want our approval, or maybe just don't want to be disciplined. :-\   :-X

I think that must have been a tough communication Caat talking with 7 cats at once, what a challenge.  How did you come up with an answer?   Is it usually a territorial thing when u have so many cats that they urinate.  If you just have 1 cat and it is doing that usually it doesn't like its litter or maybe has an urinary infection?   
I like your approach of starting slow and easy instead of just interrogating that would make sense that it would be more acceptable to the animal.  Would it be helpful to ask not WHO did it, but  ask the cats WHY do you think your fellow cat mate is urinating?  Maybe then they would feel the focus would be not to blame the action, but to help the problem to be solved?  Just a thought. ???   Thanks for your input you two.

June 27, 2011, 04:42:12 PM
Reply #9
  • Administrator
  • Major Arcana
Hi, that was very interesting dialogue between you both about animals that lie.  Actually it makes them more adorable that they would lie because it seems that they somehow want our approval, or maybe just don't want to be disciplined. :-\   :-X
I think both those things are true. I think a lot they don't want to disappoint us. There are some who maybe have peed who feel a tremendous amount of guilt, especially when it's medically related. 

I think that must have been a tough communication Caat talking with 7 cats at once, what a challenge.  How did you come up with an answer?   Is it usually a territorial thing when u have so many cats that they urinate.  If you just have 1 cat and it is doing that usually it doesn't like its litter or maybe has an urinary infection?   
Oh, gosh. For as many different cats as I speak to, there can be that many reasons. Sometimes they want their boxes cleaned more often, sometimes more boxes, sometime they want their parents to stop fighting and on and on.  Yes, sometimes it can be a UTI, but I normally will not speak with anyone unless they have been to the vets to rule that out.

With these guys, she usually has an idea and gets them checked regularly, so there are a number of different reasons they start up again. I usually just zero in on it psychically and then draw out the one I feel is the problem.

I like your approach of starting slow and easy instead of just interrogating that would make sense that it would be more acceptable to the animal.  Would it be helpful to ask not WHO did it, but  ask the cats WHY do you think your fellow cat mate is urinating?  Maybe then they would feel the focus would be not to blame the action, but to help the problem to be solved?  Just a thought. ???   Thanks for your input you two.
Well, it's actually hard to ask one why another would do something. It's easier to narrow it down psychically, like I say, and then guide the conversation by "What's bothering you" type of approach.

It would be like asking you, "Why did your sister get mad and yell at the cab driver?" Unless your sister and you had the conversation, you may not know. But if you just talk to the sister and say, "How 'ya doin'? I hear you had a little dust up in the cab the other day. Did something happen to upset you?" Then you are not only getting the information, but you are helping them by letting them to talk about something they need to get off their chest, or that may need to be changed.  That way mom and dad know what the problem is and, it's incumbent upon them to try to help the situation by alleviating the stress that is causing the behavior.

Behavioral problems are rarely corrected by just telling the animal to stop. I consider communication like family therapy. Everybody is responsible and if kitty is unhappy with something, then if mom and dad can fix it, they should. If they can't then I can at least explain to kitty why it can't change and ask what is the next best thing.

Anyone who just tells me to 'tell their animal to do something,' I won't take on as a client. It just doesn't work that way. Most, however, are willing to do anything for their babies.

Caat